- Water Kefir Grains (1 cup)
- (purchased at The Organic Food Market -Bloor-Spadina area)
- 4 cups of boiled water
- 3 cups of cold water
- 4 tbsp of cane sugar (Never honey*)
- (optional) 3 packets of tea of choice
- In a glass jar (mine holds up to 8 cups) add the hot water, sugar and tea bags.
- Steep the tea for 4 minutes, squeeze the bags and discard.
- Stir the sugar water until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the additional water and check the temperature to ensure it is not too hot for the kefir grains.
- Add the kefir grains to the lukewarm water.
- Cover the opening of the jar with 2 paper towels and tie a string around the opening to secure the paper towel.
- Store in a cool dark place, like a cabinet, for 24 hours and up to 48 h, taste to know, the sweeter, the longer it needs to ferment. (NEVER longer than 48 h).
- After 24 or 48 h, strain and set aside the kefir grains before bottling the kefir water.
- Bottle up your newly fermented kefir water in glass bottles with plastic twist caps.
- Add lemon juice, lime juice, ginger, or flavour of choice and seal the bottle caps.
- Store in a cool dark place for up to 48 h, and refrigerate.
- Once the drink has cooled enough, you may enjoy your freshly brewed water Kefir.